Scrummy Campfire Cooking Ideas for your glawningGLOW
Chilling out in your glawning is a perfect way to spend quality time with family and loved ones and the last thing you want is to be slaving away having to cook for hours when you want to make the most of that precious time together. With that in mind, meals that can prepared at home before your trip are an ideal way to ensure you have tasty food that won’t take you long to prepare.
With a campfire or, better still, a glawningGLOW woodburning stove, you can cook up some real treats to enjoy inside your glawning. Here are some ideas:
‘Campfire pizza log’ – warm, doughy pizza is something that is bound to appeal to the majority – bellissimo!
- All you need: pizza dough, half a cup of tomato sauce, 8 ounces of grated mozzarella cheese and any toppings that take your fancy.
- Simply roll the dough into a rectangle, add the sauce, cheese and toppings. This is a great way to use up fresh food in the fridge such as cold meats like ham and chicken and vegetables like peppers and onions.
- Once all your toppings are added, starting at one end, roll the dough all the way to the other to create the ‘log formation’ and pinch the ends together to avoid any toppings escaping! Wrap it in foil and freeze – it will defrost in time for dinner that day.
- It can be cooked in the glawningGLOW stove in front of the wood for 25 minutes. Make sure you flip it often so it cooks all the way through. Once cooked, it can be cut or just pulled apart.
‘Campfire philly cheesesteak sandwich’ – a hearty and delicious dinner:
- What you need: a large loaf of French bread, ¼ cup of garlic butter, three sliced peppers, a sliced onion, 600g sliced roast beef, 500g sliced cheese- mozzarella would be ideal and aluminium foil.
- Cut the bread into slices, but not all the way to the bottom, about 1.5 inches apart then butter the inside. Add a spoonful of the cooked peppers and onions to each ‘slice’, then add the beef and cheese. Place the loaf on the foil and then wrap so the whole sandwich is covered.
- To cook, place near the hot wood in your glawningGLOW stove and leave it for around 30 minutes so that the cheese can properly melt
Obviously not everything you want to eat for dinner has to be or can be made at home prior to your trip, but there are some great ideas for quick and tasty meals. For example, ‘camping quesadillas’ can be made with soft flour tortillas, grated cheese and then fillings of your choice. Some suggestions are grilled and sliced chicken breasts, black beans, pulled pork, peppers, onions and then salsa or sweet chilli sauce. Place the fillings down one half of the tortilla then fold the other half over to cover the ingredients, then place on a large piece of foil that fully covers the tortilla with the ends left open. To cook, place it on top of your glawningGLOW stove and keep it there until the cheese melts and the tortilla crisps. You can even use the foil as a plate – easy!
A great idea for a side-dish to go with the quesadillas or any other recipe are ‘campfire potatoes’. Take 1 ½ lb of new potatoes, a large onion, 1 tbsp. of minced garlic, 4 tbsp. of butter, 1-2 tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Simply slice the potatoes and onion into thin slices and place them on a piece of foil that will be large enough to fold over and cover the ingredients. Top them with the garlic, butter, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning. Fold the foil over and roll the edges to close. Let them cook on the glawningGLOW stove for 30 minutes. A delicious and easy side dish that will accompany any meal!
We hope you enjoy cooking these dishes and we’d love to see some pictures of the results posted on our facebook page!